Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Miss B's Projects

Little Miss Breanna is really learning to sew.  I wasn't sure when was the appropriate age to teach her; but I think now that this is the perfect age, because she is so excited about it! She has so much enthusiasm, and doesn't seem to have any fears of doing something wrong.  The first project we tackled was this quilt, and I think it was way too much. By the end of the day we were both frustrated.  But she did a wonderful job!

I decided that she needed to get some more practice just using the machine, and I needed to practice my patience and slowing down! So I gave her a piece of fabric (about a yard), a pair of scissors, pins, and let her have at it. Right away the creative juices started flowing. I'm also thinking she got the "lead-foot" syndrome I have.  =) Anyway, it really seemed to help with her coordination, and especially her confidence in her abilities. There were many tiny pieces of fabric floating around the house, but it kept her occupied for days!

And this was our next project:
and the back:
They have a layer of batting and also Insul-bright, so work great for reflecting heat.  She's actually done 3 like this now, and lots of other small ones for play- with fabric scraps and batting scraps.

Back when she wanted to sew but was only 4 years old, she started working on a quilt by hand-stitching.
It never got finished, so we started adding rows by machine.  This is a great first project, and good for learning to sew straight lines!
This is the front, all finished, and she did this without much guidance!  I did pin the bias-tape on for her, but she sewed it on.
And the back:
As you might guess, she is quite proud of this little masterpiece- actually it's a great size for wrapping up her dollies.  Good Job, Breanna, I know I didn't make anything that looked like that when I was 5!!

2 comments:

Shay said...

Breanna is one talented little chickadee! Great job Miss B!

Evan and Clover and Co. said...

What a brilliant child! It is great that she's learning to sew so young, it's obviously kept her mom busy and happy for many years! :-)