Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Another Twirly Tumbler Skirt (Upcycled)

Made another skirt from recycled jeans, and tumbler quilt blocks.  
Completely not my normal color/style scheme, but I LOVE how it turned out!
Have some left, might have to make one for me. ;)

Size 6 Levi's white-denim jeans with adjustable waist.

Very full, perfect for twirling!

Personalized Children's Bible-Bag/Purse

This was a custom order from a good friend, and I love how it turned out!

It's for her sister's 4th Birthday.

Magnetic closure and inside pockets.

Coordinating fabric flower is removable for washing.

These are available for $30, see my Facebook Page to place an order.

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Tiered Skirt Tutorial

I was recently asked how to make a tiered skirt like the green & pink bicycle one I made for my daughter, so here's a tutorial that will hopefully get the idea across.  I like to sew-as-I-go, so ask if you have any questions or I didn't make something clear enough! :)

I had 4 fabrics; so sewed the strips together to get the maximum lengths, then cut them to "stair-step" lengths.  The first/top layer is about 3 inches longer than the waist measurement.  The bottom layer is the longest piece of fabric.  Since I was making 2 skirts, I divided my fabrics in half before starting.

For just a few layers, you might want to make a big "difference" in the stair-steps, to get it plenty ruffly.  If there will be lots of layers (example: if you are using a jelly-roll or 2.5 inch strips and will have 8-10 layers): you want enough difference that there will be some ruffling, but too much will result in a bottom layer that is too ruffly/full.  Completely confused yet?  Hopefully the picture helps some.

Next sew each strip into a circle, with right sides together, and iron seams open.  I begin by heming the bottom layer, then ruffling the top of all layers (excluding the top layer).
Ruffle each layer to the layer above, and serge or zig-zag the edge of your seams.  This is very important for 2 reasons.  First of all, your 1/4 inch seam won't last very long- and the skirt will fall apart, if all the threads come loose.  Second of all, when you wash the skirt- the edges will start to fray, and whomever is wearing the skirt will be irritated by the "strings" hanging all over and tickling.  A serger is not necessary, and I've often used the zig-zag stitch myself.  Either makes it look professional, and will last better than plain seams.

Another very important tip, is to use your iron.  I strongly dislike having to iron laundry, but I always get out the iron when sewing.  If you press seams flat as you go, it makes it look professionally finished, and also helps with accuracy!  It's much easier to match up seams that have been pressed.

The inside, once all seams have been gathered & finished.

For the waist, finish the top edge, turn down enough to cover your elastic, and sew a casing to fit the elastic. Pull elastic through casing, check for snug fit, and sew closed.

The hem was also finished before turning up.

And the end result.

Closer up.

When I finished there were some little pieces leftover, so I added some coordinating green polka-dots and made matching dolly skirts!

What fun, think I like the doll skirts even better!

Friday, February 8, 2013

Springy & Bright Tumblers

Once again, barely squeaking by for Finish-It-Up-Friday, with Crazy Mom Quilts.

I had some 4-inch strips left from the twirly skirt, so cut them into some 4-inch tumbler blocks.

Perfect size for a table runner!

Fun with black & white.

Very cheerful spring colors.

I like this picture, but obviously had a setting wrong for outside- it looks a little washed out.

All rolled up.

With the rest of the tiny scraps, I made a coordinating pot-holder.

Just happened to have matching fabrics for the backing and binding in my stash, and big enough scraps of batting; so handy!

Realized I never posted about the twirly skirt, so here it is:

Five different prints cut into 6.5 inch tumbler blocks, for Breanna.

Look at all those ruffles, it's awesome for twirling!
I thought it would be a nice & quick project, but it didn't turn out that way.  I love the way it turned out, though, so worth it.  There are 70 tumbler blocks in all!  I serged them as I went- so it will wash & wear well- no fraying.

Now off to bed at 9:15 on Friday night.  Yup, must be getting old.  But, it will make it much easier to get up tomorrow and get lots of things accomplished!

Have a great weekend!

Friday, February 1, 2013

Valentine's Apron & More Pot-Holders

Whew, I think I am barely going to make it in time for "Finish-it-up-Friday" with CrazyMomQuilts!  It has been such a helpful thing for me, a motivator to get projects finished up a little faster.

My first finish today, was some scrappy pot-holders I found in my stash, that just needed binding applied!  Can you believe that.... sat for 2 years in my stuff, just waiting for binding?!

 I had a terrible time getting the reds to show up correctly in photos, these two are the closest.  The backs are the solid large cherries.

I also finished up this apron for a customer, and a matching flower for her hat.

A full-length apron this time, with a white lining.

And ruffled pockets.

Once again, the photos... argh!  The main fabric is a much softer pink, these almost make it look purple.  If only the camera would cooperate as well as the sewing machine, I'd be in business.  Oh wait, I am.  Well maybe I need a better camera!  Such a dilema, since a good one is so expensive, and I really am not into photography.

Anyway; so fun to see all the other finishes, happy Friday!

P.S. Hop on over to Facebook, for a chance to win two of those pink and red potholders!