Here it is! It's a variation of the log cabin block, only looks more interesting. It's going to be a baby gift.
I first saw the pattern in a log cabin block magazine I got a few years ago, but when I saw the one made here, it inspired me to give it a try!
I used scraps, 1 1/2 inches wide; so it looks nice but didn't turn out very big. So far without borders it's about 28 x 35inches.
I "fussy cut" the center squares to each have a cupcake, but I'm not sure in the end it was worth the extra time. My iron also quit working, so I'm using this tiny one I take to quilting classes.... for now it works.
I used 1 1/2 inch strips, which made it easier; because your pieces go up in increments of 1 inch (you loose 1/2 inch for each seam), so everything could be pre-cut quickly.
When the blocks were done, I had 10 of each type, and they measured 7 1/2 inches square.
Breanna was given some fun quilting pins with "buttons" on the ends, by a sweet lady at sewing circle. Breanna was very intrigued when she saw them, so Biruta bought her her own. Tonight while I was sewing, Daddy took her to Jo-Ann's to get a magnet to keep them together. I still have the same magnet my mom got me when I was about 10, so I think it was a safe and useful investment. =)
I also got some laundry done while sewing today, and Andy was impressed to watch the washer! It was hilarious, he stared for about 10 minutes, I remember Breanna doing the same a few years ago.
I really need to get to bed now, guess this didn't quite get finished "last night", since it's almost 1am on Friday. But it sure was fun, and I can't wait to use some other colors! And believe it or not, my scrap bins are starting to slim down a bit from the last few projects- that is success!