Saturday, March 3, 2012

All in a Day's Work...

Yesteray, I saw quilt somewhere on Pinterest (and I can't find it now to show you), but it got me thinking.  Usually I don't use a lot of grey, but I found a cute piece with dots awhile back, and bought a yard.  I'd also cut some blocks and strips to make a quilt at the retreat last fall, and decided I didn't like what I'd planned.  However, the colors in the quilt on Pinterest reminded me of those pieces, and they were put with grey and looked beautiful!
So, I got out the pieces, and went to work.  Originally, I'd planned the green squares for blocks, the blue strips for sashing, and the white squares for joining sashing.
 I cut the squares in half, the strips 1/2-inch shorter, make some 3 x 5 1/2 blocks from the grey polka-dot, and the white squares will be saved for another project.
 All the "waste" there was from changing plans, not too bad!
 The blocks, all in order.
Sewn together.
 I think this combination works well.
 The completed quilt.
 I used polyester batting for the "puffy" look, and "stitch-in-the-ditch" for the quilting.  Levi was laughing at the term "Stitch-in-the-ditch", I'm assuming he was thinking of my sewing machine sitting out in the ditch?
I took the completed photos today, but actually finished the entire quilt yesterday!
 I love the puffy feel that the batting gives, it's really "cushy" and very snuggly.


If only all my projects went that smoothly!

4 comments:

Shay said...

I think that quilt was fated to be born . It's gorgeous. Perfect colour choices and balance.....

beth said...

Wow! it's beautiful!

Kari D. said...

You are amazing!

Cristy said...

LOVE the chevron quilt! I've been wanting to make one of these, but not exactly sure how to do it. (But, I have a better idea now). It turned out GREAT!